4 FUNDAMENTAL WORKING HYPOTHESES FOR DISCUSSION
1. Risk literacy can be increased (natural frequencies, risk ladders);
2. Contextual noise can be reduced (culture, social norms at variance with societal goals);
3. Choice architecture can be improved (peer-to-peer prompts, accessibility of positive choices);
4. Risk is a high-stakes issue for more than “just” risk – trust deserts, risk illiteracy and unreflected risk avoidance drive avoidable harms, but also make for a society bereft of resilience, self-efficacy and innovative drive.
3 STARTER QUESTIONS
1. What other hypotheses should we be factoring in?
2. For each of these areas, what is being done and is it working?
3. To take knowledge forward in each of these fields, what disciplines and insights should we add to the ‘usual suspects’?